Think Your Home Has Mold? Learn How To Identify It And Prevent It From Growing

About Me
cleaning up after Mother Nature

I have worked with a disaster recovery group for the last ten years. We travel from place to place to help towns recover after natural disasters. I have assisted in the clean-up efforts of floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and fires. Each of these terrible disasters has taught me something that I hadn't already known about cleaning up and rebuilding after a disaster. That is why I created this blog. Hopefully, you will find what you need to know to help your family, neighbors or friends clean up and rebuild after Mother Nature creates a disaster area that is beyond your wildest dreams.


Think Your Home Has Mold? Learn How To Identify It And Prevent It From Growing

23 July 2015
 Categories: , Blog

Having large damp parts of your home can be a danger to the health of yourself and the people you live with. This is because mold spores can easily be inhaled when there is a lot of it in the air, and it will cause health problems that initially show up as symptoms that can be mistaken for a common cold. Here are some signs of how to spot mold growth and prevent it from growing.

Spotting Mold

The Smell

The most common sign of a mold problem inside your home will be the smell. Mold will smell musty and not go away even if you open up the windows. It is entirely possible for you to get used to the smell as well, so step outside and get a breath of fresh air if you need a smell to compare it to.

The Look

It is also possible for a surface to be discolored due to water damage, but not be actual mold growth. Some signs you should look for include:

  • discoloration that is uneven and visibly yellowish, bluish, grayish, black, white, or a combination of these color shades.
  • wood that is stained a black or black-blue color.
  • structural damage to a material's surface.

Preventing Mold

Repair Leaks

Do not ignore any problem that is causing water to leak into your home. It could be from a basement window, your plumbing, or a damaged foundation. This is because the moisture that enters your home from these leaks will easily create mold. Damage may not even be immediately visible if the leak is occurring behind a wall.

You can use a dehumidifier in the area to remove the excess water from the air as well, which will make an environment less ideal for mold growth.

Completely Remove The Mold

If you do have mold in your house, it is best to work with a professional mold remediation company that can get rid of it completely. Even if you think you got rid of all the mold damage on your own, chances are that it still can be there. Porous materials can still have mold in it, and non-porous surfaces will need to be disinfected.

Mold can be a big problem for homeowners, but thankfully, it is something you can identify and treat with a combination of DIY tips and professional help.  Follow these tips to identify the mold and ensure it is gone for good. Contact a company like All American Repair Services Inc. for more information.